Q:  What are your hours? 

A:  We have police officers on-duty every day of the year 24 hours a day including all State and Federal holidays.  Our administrative office is open Monday – Friday, excluding State and Federal holidays, from 8 a.m., to 4 p.m.

Q:  What is the department’s mailing and physical address? 

A:  Our mailing address is P.O. Box 111, Osceola, IA 50213.  Our physical address is 220 Townline Road, Osceola, IA.

Q: What is the curfew law and times?

A:  Curfew hours are:

  • 11:00 p.m. on any Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday until 6:00 a.m. of the following day
  • 1:01 a.m. until 6:00 a.m. on any Friday or Saturday night

This law applies to anyone under 18 years of age who remains in any public place or on the premises of any establishment within the City during curfew hours.  There are several exceptions to this law.  For more information see Chapter 46 of the city code. 

Q:  Do you unlock vehicles? 

A:  Yes we do!  You must be present, show ID and the registration when we unlock it.

Q:  Is there parking at the Amtrak Depot? 

A:  Yes!  Lots of paved parking and well lit.  There is overflow across the street for periods of heavy travel.

Q:  Can I get a copy of my police or accident report? 

A:  Yes!  If a report was completed a copy of it can be purchased at the police department.  The cost is $5.00.  To save some time it is suggested that you call the office to see if a report is available before making the request.  Please make these requests and pick-up your reports during regular business hours.  We do not accept credit cards.  You can also request and receive a report through the mail by providing a self-addressed stamped envelope. 

Q:  If my pet is taken to the shelter can you get it out for me? 

A:  No.  The police department will not release any animal taken to the shelter.  That must be done by shelter personnel.  Please contact the shelter directly at (641) 342-1180. 

Q:  Is there somewhere I can dispose of old medications? 

A:  Yes!  The police department has a drop-box in the lobby of the law center.  We cannot take liquids, creams, salves, needles or other sharps.

Q:  Where can I get a copy of my Iowa Driver’s License record? 

A:  You must go to the Clarke County Sheriff’s Office in person to do that.  There is a $5.50 fee.

Q:  Where can I get my fingerprints taken for a work or job application? 

A:  The Clarke County Sheriff’s Office can do those, call to make an appointment at (641) 342-2914.

Q:  Can I find out if someone is being held in jail, talk to an inmate or find out the rules for visitation? 

A:  Yes!  For all things related to someone who is incarcerated at the Clarke County Jail, contact the Clarke County Sheriff’s Office and ask for the jail, (641) 342-2914.

Q:  What do I do if I think I am being scammed?

A:  Never give out your personal information over the phone, including your social security number, bank numbers, debit/credit card numbers, etc.  The best thing to do if someone calls you and it sounds like a scam is to hang up.  If you fall victim to a scam, contact the police department and we may be able to assist you.

Q:  Is open burning allowed in the city?

A:  Yes!  The disposal by open burning of landscape waste originating on the premises, between sunrise and sunset, is allowed.  Landscape waste includes trees, tree trimmings, branches, stumps, brush, weeds, leaves, grass, shrubbery and yard trimmings.  The burning of garbage is prohibited in the city.  The city also has a tree dump located just south of town on Ridge Road.  The dump is for landscape waste only.  The dumping of any kind of garbage is prohibited and violators will be cited.

Q:  What are the child restraint laws in Iowa?

A:  IA code 321.446 requires the following-

  • A child under one year old and weighing less than 20 pounds must be secured in a rear-facing child restraint system.
  • A child under six years old must be secured in a child restraint system (a safety seat or booster seat, not a seat belt).
  • A child from the age of six up to the age of 11 must be secured in a child restraint system or by a safety belt.
  • Rear seat occupants up to age 18 must be secured by a safety belt.

If you need assistance installing your child restraint system please stop out to the law enforcement center and an officer will help you.